Supporting our staff during the pandemic
At a time of stress and anxiety for so many, we have seen an amazing response from across our community, as people have come together to support their local hospital. In addition to the provision of complimentary accommodation, home cooked food, chocolates, toiletries, wellbeing bags, and other treats, we have seen young and old find clever ways to raise money in support of our staff’s health and wellbeing, despite lockdown restrictions.
Thanks to your support, we have raised nearly £600,000 in addition to the £160,000 donated by NHS Charities Together in the 12 months to the end of March 2021. This is a fantastic achievement and has allowed us to help our colleagues in a number of ways including:
- Upgrading and enhancing staff rest facilities across the hospital, including repurposing some for sleep, ensuring staff have the space to take time away from the pressures of their daily roles.
- Improving outdoor seating areas and spaces, including renovating the Garden of Reflection.
- Funding additional health and wellbeing resources, with a particular emphasis on mental health support, to signpost, triage and treat staff with psychological problems, including employing an Assistant Staff Wellbeing Chaplain and a clinical psychologist.
- Providing additional showers for staff, as well as a new centrally-located cycle storage unit for approximately 80 bikes.
- Establishing a food distribution hub during the first wave and the provision of a hot evening meal for staff working nights throughout January and February 2021. In addition, providing access to refreshments and healthy snacks for staff when the hospital was at its busiest.
- Last Christmas, purchasing an individually named Sho water bottle for all members of staff who requested one, as a way of thanking them for their dedication and commitment throughout 2020.
Scroll down to see a thank you video from staff.